Hello world!

Welcome to The Del Perspective! My name is Beth, and here you can follow along on my journey through my Senior Capstone as a post-baccalaureate computer science student. First though, I’d like to give a brief introduction of who I am and how I got here. 

I can’t say I grew up fascinated with tech. I didn’t build my own computer in high school, learn to code when I was 12 or even spend hours playing video games when I was a child. My interest in tech came on a little later in life. I got my first degree in Health and Exercise Science from Colorado State University. My initial plan was to become a PA, but after working in a medical clinic for a few years, I discovered that the healthcare world wasn’t for me. Alas, at the ripe old age of 21, I had zero clue what I wanted to do with my life (as does every other 21 year old). In an attempt to start figuring it out, I turned to my siblings. My brother is a SWE at Google, my older sister is an Orthopedic Surgery PA, and my middle sister is a SWE at Charter Communications. I already tried the healthcare field, so I figured why not try my hand at programming. After a few weekend long coding bootcamps, I enrolled myself into Oregon State’s post-bac CS degree. Here we are 2 years later 🙂

I currently work for the CEO and owner of an entity that houses three separate small businesses: construction management, general contracting, and commercial maintenance. I do a variety of administrative tasks, some bookkeeping, and correspondence. More excitedly, my capstone project will be building out their website for the commercial maintenance business. I have partnered with the current engineer designing the mobile iOS application, and  I will be making the compliment web app. While the planned feature set is quite large, I am looking forward to beginning work on it and tackle it piece by piece.

As this capstone is the summit of my time within the OSU CS program, I have been exposed to a variety of different languages, technologies and skill sets. I have come to found I thoroughly enjoy web development. I was also lucky enough to complete an internship in web development last summer, which only grew my interest. As I have begun my job search, my primary focus will be in web development roles. Actually, as I am writing this, I have made it to the final “on-site” (…but it’s virtual… thanks pandemic!) interview for a Front End Engineering position at Meta. Interview prep has been stressful to say the least, so I look forward to taking a break from both school and interview prep once I finish out this program and land a job. 

Outside of school and work, I am an avid exerciser. I enjoy running, weight lifting, tennis, skiing, and hiking. Currently, I am training for my very first marathon! It’s a tough but rewarding process (much like programming in my opinion). 

Thanks for joining along with me! Hopefully it will be an exciting ride! 🙂

One response to “Hello world!”

1. Hi, this is a comment.