The Power of Compensation: How It Drives Our Behavior

Compensation, in the form of salaries, bonuses, and other forms of rewards, is often seen as a mere means to an end – a way to pay our bills and afford the things we desire. However, compensation plays a far more significant role in our lives than simply providing financial security. It can also be a powerful motivator, influencing our behavior in ways we may not even realize.

Consider my own experience. A few years ago, I was working as a server for a big company in the Oregon Metropolitan area. I was happy with my job, but I felt that my compensation was not commensurate with what was being asked of me. I had been with the company for several years and had consistently exceeded my performance expectations, and due to the pandemic my compensation was effectively cut in half, while having to double the amount of work I was doing. During the COVID pandemic, a lot of my fellow employee’s and I were not given hazard pay during the heat of the pandemic. There began to be whispers of rumors how the compensation that was afforded to companies was being used on higher ups instead of its 2000+ employees. This obviously upset a lot of us, and it prompted me to ponder whether I wanted to work there anymore

I began to look for new opportunities. I interviewed with several companies and eventually received a job offer that was significantly more lucrative than my current position.

Ultimately, I decided to accept the new job offer. The increased compensation was a major factor in my decision. However, it was not the only factor. I also felt that the new company would provide me with a better chance to grow my network and be flexible with my school schedule.

My experience is not unique. Compensation is a powerful motivator that can influence our behavior in a variety of ways. For example, studies have shown that employees who are paid more are more likely to be satisfied with their jobs and less likely to leave. They are also more likely to be engaged in their work and productive.

Of course, compensation is not the only factor that motivates employees. Other important factors include job satisfaction, work-life balance, and the opportunity to make a difference. However, compensation is often the most tangible factor, and it can have a significant impact on our behavior.

As employers, it is important to understand the power of compensation and use it to motivate employees in a positive way. By offering competitive salaries and other forms of rewards, we can create a more engaged and productive workforce.