Design, Politics, and the CIA?

Sometime around Christmas of 2020, I was browsing the different Linkedin graphic design listings, as one does. I was scrolling through the different product design positions and the positions that require far too many years of experience for my college student self, when I happened upon a CIA graphic design offer. I hesitated, thinking that once I click the link, I’ll be on some sort of watchlist. Well luckily enough my nightcap of scotch -with a single ice cube- and curiosity took over and I opened up the listing to find that it was really the CIA. I had first thought that it was weird to see such a large yet secretive organization post a job in the civilian market. Then I looked further into what their job specifications were. To sum them up: designing data related graphics, providing well formatted PowerPoints, flow diagrams, publication designs, posters, logos, and brochures. So pretty standard graphic design related work. But for, y’know, the CIA. 

I brought up my new discovery to my father, who is currently in the Air Force, roughly 36 years and counting. His eyes lit up a bit, as he’s quite the fan of our country, and government related positions. He had gone on to lecture about how such a position could open countless doors for me in my design career. Given they require background checks and they’re quite recognizable in any market, local or abroad. I can’t disagree, it does sound like a rather sweet gig. Even then, something didn’t sit right with me, knowing that I’d be working for the government directly. Not that I have any issues with our government, (hopefully my blog doesn’t get flagged now that I’ve mentioned the CIA so many times) but I just can’t see myself working within such strict guidelines as an artist. Politics and enforcement seem like the antithesis of an artist. Think graffiti artists and the police, or the entirety of the 70’s. But even then, the government needs artists to provide them a face for the people they’re serving. As campaigns need a logo or brochures, and the CIA needs a new logo that looks like an indie house band album cover. As designers, we must provide for a market. 

CIA former logo: left; CIA current logo: right

The CIA has used graphic designers for decades to promote an agenda. More specifically, producing magazines for the Cold War. Which, by now, we know that the Cold War was a marketing and image beast of society. That is, who likes the color red or not, right? Nonetheless, magazines were being funded (most of the time unknowingly) by the CIA through the Congress for Cultural Freedom. Where many copies were printed and distributed to European countries. For example, Peter Matthiessen’s magazine in which he co-founded, the Paris Review. He was an environmental activist, wilderness writer, he won the National Book Award, was a Zen teacher, and oh, right, he was also a CIA officer. The magazine played a part in his cover story for being in Europe at the time. 

Paris Review covers (left to right): 1953, 1958, 1959, 1964

Design offers an image. Even potentially a façade that an individual or company could hide behind. Politics are not an outlier to this statement. Where there is a need, people will rise to the occasion to meet it. The same goes for designers. I personally understand this, and will do what is necessary to make a comfortable living for myself and my future family. But I can’t say that it would be an enjoyable experience for me if it comes down to working in politics. That just sounds ghastly; working for an agenda with corrupt politicians (because really, most politicians are corrupt in some way) where your name and efforts are directly attached to what thousands of people are seeing. Half of which probably don’t agree with the message. I’m not paranoid, but hell, give me a New York steak and let me run through a vegan convention. I think my social standing would hold up better in that scenario than working in politics.

(On a similar note, the designer has yet to be named for the CIA’s new logo. Given the ridicule it has received on social media and the likes. Hilarious, but a real issue.)