Future in App Develpoment?

Prior to the capstone class, I thought it would be interesting to have a career in app development. I am a big fan of gachapon mobile games. The ones where you gamble in game currency in a gum ball machine and try to get an ultra rare unit for the game. I spent countless dollars in many different mobile games.

I am now half way through the quarter and deep into my capstone project where my team and I are developing a dog park yelp app and it is going great. We are making great progress. We have a fully function IU and our backend is on its way there. We have a fully functioning log-in and authentication system through firebase authenticator. Profile pages are rendering through data from firebase using unique user identifiers. Everything is going great except I didn’t think it would be this confusing.

This project is my first large-scale project. I’ve created scripts to make work easier, created my own database scheme and hosted a user interface to interact with the SQL server. I created my own website and web applications. They were all difficult in their own ways but creating a fully functioning mobile application is a whole different ball park. Now that we are creating a software that other people will be using, we have to stress about security and having every function working properly.

I am learning Flutter on the fly and using packages such as riverpod to have providers for our data streams and query streams have been a huge struggle. Getting access to the firebase data and parsing it to display on certain pages have more often than not turn my brain into Jell-O. Fortunately, I have great teammates who are doing their best to educate me and help me out when I am struggling. I honestly credit them for our success so far. We have made so far already and all we have to do is continue working hard and we’ll have a great product!