Blog Post #2

January 30, 2024

For our capstone project we are building an opinionated project management website that allows users to manage projects and tasks related to software development. This past week, I spent a bulk of my time laying out the ground work for the frontend of our React web application and configuring the Firebase social media authentication using the Google Firebase console.

I had worked with React before in CS290 building the full stack MERN (Mongo, Express, React, Node) application, but I have not used it for a project this complex. Immediately I am seeing the benefits of using React components for managing the user interface of my application. I have been working on making the splash page for our website, which is the page that the user lands on when they access your site. I configured buttons that let the user create an account via social media authentication using Firebase. 

I had never worked with Firebase, and it was actually my teammate’s idea to use it in the first place. This past summer I had worked in the Google Cloud Platform so I was a bit familiar with the layout and settings for Google applications related to software development. Luckily there is extensive documentation on using these technologies which has been helpful for getting a picture of how to use JSON Web Tokens during the social media authentication process. This is what I will work on this week, so we can hook everything up to the backend of our app.

I was glad that after a day or two of coding my JavaScript code worked for the Firebase configuration. I can see how Google is such a large company with many products, because it has distinct products like this that work well. 

Overall, I have enjoyed the challenge of the capstone project where I get to learn new skills and technologies while building a unique project.

Blog Post #1

January 9, 2024

For blog post #1, I would like to talk about what got me started with computers and software. Initially, I was always intrigued by computer programming because my older brother had all these books on C++ and web development. In high school, I went to a camp at UCSD where I learned FPS game development using Unreal Engine. I also took the AP Computer Science exam and passed. Unfortunately, the poor course quality lead me to pursue other interests in economics and business, and I graduated USC with a business degree in 2020.

It was at my second job out of business school that my interest in software and technology grew even more. I was underwriting software funds while working at a pension fund, and I began spending my evenings at the El Segundo Library taking Angela Yu’s Python course and Colt Steele’s Web Development course. Eventually, I found I had a knack for programming and enjoyed how engaging the activity was. I left my job, moved back in with family, and committed myself to studying Computer Science.

I’ve greatly enjoyed the skills and experiences I have had because of Oregon State. I have been a ULA for CS464 Open Source Software for two terms and a ULA for CS352 Usability Engineering for two terms. I completed a software engineering internship at EDF Renewables, where I configured API management solutions for the enterprise and worked on an Agile team.

I’m looking forward to the career opportunities my Bachelor’s of Computer Science will allow me to pursue. One thing I’ve enjoyed most from this degree is being able to talk about technical projects with my friends who work in engineering. Furthermore, I look forward to earning my CS degree and working on a large project with a team in this class.