How Did I Get Here?

Greetings! If you’ve managed to find your way to my little corner of the internet, then introductions are called for. My name is Christopher Weinert and I am taking my final course, CS 467, in OSU’s computer science program.  I have been in the program since 2019 and am very excited to be at the end of this program. My passion for computer science started long before I started this course, and I actually almost pursued a minor in the topic while obtaining my first degree, in biology.

Unfortunately, my schedule at the time did not allow me to take all the required courses for the minor in tandem with my biology degree. Biology courses typically required plenty of lab time and being a student-athlete on top of that didn’t leave much time for flexibility within my schedule. Not getting at least a minor in computer science was honestly one of my only major regrets upon graduating for the first time. After spending a few years working within clinical laboratories, I quickly realized that I preferred working with computers more than working with biological samples within a lab.

Thus I began looking at possibly making a career shift. At first, it was just a minor transition into bioinformatics but found that kind of career shift typically required some form of computer science background. At that point in my life, I was working for a small start-up lab in my city but didn’t want to commit to moving for a program. Then I came across OSU’s online post-back program. It seemed like a perfect fit for me as it would allow me to continue supporting and working with the small start-up while I pursued a degree in computer science to further advance my own career options. Thus in 2019, I finally took the plunge and started my computer science adventure with OSU.

I will say that the journey hasn’t been easy. Juggling working full time, school, and having a social life meant that couldn’t afford to take too many classes at once. Not to mention the lovely pandemic decided to pop up in 2020 (that was heavy sarcasm by the way).  Thus my progress through this course has been fairly slow and steady.

Overall, I am very pleased with my work leading up to this final capstone course. I’ve grown a lot as a programmer and honestly have loved learning about different areas of programming. I’m still looking to try to find a career that mixes my first degree and the one awaiting me at the end of this course. However, I’m also open to exploring the new career options that this program will provide. It is wild to think that I started this program back in 2019, which feels like ages ago, but I’m looking forward to what the future holds.