Blog Post #3

My project is the EECS Community of Practice Mentor Matching Site. This is a site meant to be used by OSU faculty and students, for the purpose of connecting prospective mentees with possible mentors who match their interests and are a good fit demographically and geographically. Students at OSU are looking for guidance in their technical interests such as engineering, as well as in their professional growth, such as resumes, as they navigate through their degree programs. The goal with this site is not only to connect mentors and mentees, but also increase the rate of success with that connection by filtering through each user’s interests and subject(s) of expertise. This will benefit OSU students since although there is a system set up for advising (educational goals) and tutoring (which addresses students’ struggles academically), there is no current system at OSU that addresses both career growth and supports students’ interests, helping navigate them through that unique journey. Faculty at OSU that are looking to give back can also use this as an opportunity to help students without jumping through any extra hurdles; just providing guidance and feedback on topics that are already native.

If I could re-do this entire project, I would make sure to learn React and Javascript way earlier, possibly at the beginning of CS 469. Adjusting to creating websites with very little prior web experience has been challenging to say the least, and frustrating when things take me longer to finish compared with my teammates. The learning curve has been incredibly helpful and accelerated my journey and skills in computer science, however, and for that I am grateful.