Compensation Matters

No one wants to work long hours, with no benefits, for little pay. This is why compensation for employees matters! I actually just quit my waitressing job because I was working for six hours, only had one table that day, and got thirteen dollars! The money was not worth it compared to time I could have spent doing homework, taking care of myself, or making more money elsewhere. Many other waitresses there got more tables than me, and always got the tables with parties assigned to them. So, I also did not think it was very fair that I have never gotten a large party or reservation, and went home with $13 compared to my co-workers that made at least between $80-$100, if not more. I also made $2.65 an hour, so my paychecks come back as zero dollars because tax takes everything out. We all have the same skill level, and I am the only one there with an almost college degree, so I do not think the pay was fair or worth it for me to stay there. The same job-based pay was still unequally distributed to every waitress there. Even though we all know how to do the job and have the same tasks and responsibilities, everyone leaves with a different amount of money every night. The tables and people coming in are what make you money, and if those are distributed unevenly then so will the pay. Knowledge, skills, responsibilities, and specific tasks in jobs are all important when deciding different pay grades and compensation. Compensation will either cause you to loose or gain employees. Pay, benefits, and other incentives are critical components employees should and mostly do consider when working somewhere.