Skip navigation

Vet Gazette

Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine eNewsletter

Summer Experience Highlights the Many Paths of Veterinary Medicine

August 26th, 2014
Dr. Trina Westerman demonstrates the use of an endoscope to examine an equine espophagus.

Dr. Trina Westerman demonstrates the use of an endoscope
to examine an equine esophagus.

This summer, sixteen academically talented Oregon students with an interest in veterinary medicine spent a busy week attending veterinary medicine workshops, doing research, and learning about college life as part of CVM’s Summer Veterinary Experience, also known as Summer Camp. The students were selected from a pool of applicants based on their grades, the recommendation of a teacher, and an essay written by them about their interest in veterinary medicine.

CVM faculty and mentors helped deliver a wide variety of challenging laboratory and clinical experiences including an endoscope demonstration, a surgery skills lab, large and small animal exams, a heart imaging demonstration, and a necropsy lab. “My favorite activity by far was the Necropsy lab. I never really thought I would be able to handle dead animals, but I was wrong. I really enjoyed searching and finding the cause of death,” said one student.

One of the goals of the program is to introduce students who are interested in veterinary careers to the many facets of the profession. “I went in thinking I knew what type of vet I wanted to be, and ended up changing just about everything. I still want to be a vet but now I know what field interests me,” said one student.

CVM student mentors organized the workshops, provided skill instruction, shared their knowledge and experience, and offered advice.  This year’s mentors were: Stephanie Lutz, Margot Mercer, Erika Akerman, Kim Allsopp, and Rebecca Gordon. “They were fantastic,” says Suzie Chase, the Administrative Program Assistant who supervised the camp. “They were super organized and great to work with.”

Recent posts

Archives

August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

• Popular Tags