Capstone and Beyond

With the capstone course being my final course in the program, I am looking at what is beyond, which is the job landscape. With recent news of big layoffs in major tech companies like Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, it can be a bit daunting to thinking of landing my first job. All I can do is try to best prepare myself for the application and job interview process which lies ahead. Some things I am currently or planning on working on include:

• Leetcode – Getting comfortable walking through problems and coding on a more daily basis
  • Revitalizing old projects – Going through portfolio projects from courses earlier in the program. Recently an advisor suggested looking at them through a new lens using something I’ve learned in a more recent course. For instance, taking an old project that was hosted locally and now hosting it in the cloud or taking a web app and turning it into a mobile app
  • Own a project – This capstone project is a great example of a project that I can really own some of the direction and work through problems and obstacles along the way that will give me valuable experience and maybe some talking points during interviews
  • Resume workshop – Using available advising through the career center to help vitalize my resume and identify areas I can strengthen

If you are like me and getting near the start of your new career, then I wish you (and myself) luck!