Biggest Success in Capstone

I think my biggest success during this course was figuring out how to send an image over an HTTP request to the backend to be processed and saved. I’d say this is my biggest because, simple CRUD functionality between the frontend and backend is usually pretty straightforward. Even for us it could have been straight forward if we chose to use Firebase on our front end in order to save/edit images, but we chose to keep all of the functionality on the backend. Therefore, I had to figure out how to get a picture from the user’s device and then format it in a way along with all the other data needed for our Experience object to send it over to our backend. After a lot of research and YouTube tutorials, I finally figured it out got it working in our project. I was super proud of that because it was a task that could’ve held up the entire project, but because I was able to solve it, my team and I were able to continue moving forward with our project.

By doing this, I got to learn a lot more about SwiftUI, and also how to deal with images/files in HTTP requests. It has just been such a great learning opportunity building this application, because I was able to learn a lot about native iOS development which is great because that is where I want to transition to as a Software Engineer. I also think the collaboration piece with using GitHub, and the constant communication to keep team members in the know, was extremely valuable.

I feel that this course helped bring together everything that we learned in our other courses and put it into practice. We had to design everything from scratch, schedule when to meet, set up weekly tasks for each team member, and use GitHub in order to track and complete our project. I think the course could be better by maybe providing just a little more direction/instruction on the project. Although, there are times when on real projects direction/instruction is very vague and lacking which could have been intentional with this course.