Lesson Plans

On a typical day, as a trainer, I either train or create lesson plans (facilitator guides and participant guides) for each class that I train. Each course takes time to craft and demo to other trainers before it is taught to students.  Lesson plans begin with a template, so that no matter who creates a class, they will all look similar. Then, once the guides are completed, we hopefully have time to demo the activities, and they are ready to be taught.

A typical day would start with an opening activity that can engage the trainees and get them talking to one another. In person it is easy to get started with a flipchart activity, a game, or a getting to know your activity (like speed dating). Virtually, this will look differently, starting out with a poll, a group discussion, or breakout into groups and discuss a topic in pairs.

The day will continue, and we’ll break every 60-90 minutes, switching topics about every 45 minutes. With each switch, I try to add some physical activity and then an opener for the next lesson. In a day we’ll have two 15-minute breaks and about an hour lunch (when virtual it’s a 90-minute lunch).

When we come back from a break or lunch it is even more important to re-engage the student’s as their minds are often elsewhere. Having a physical activity or inserting humor to re-engage student’s often works best for me.

Then at the end of the day, we summarize the topics that we have learned, hopefully by being able to walk around the classroom and seeing the different flip charts we’ve created, the different transactions we’ve done, or having students recall each topic we’ve covered.

Throughout the day I assess students’ mastery by asking them pointed questions about the material at hand. I will also gauge their understanding by the looks on their faces and looking for any glazed over eyes or crosstalk. If I notice too much of either I’ll normally engaged those students and ask easier questions or check my watch to verify if it’s time for a break. At the end of the day, we’ll review the class material by getting each trainee/student to answer a question and then we have a final assessment/test ranging from 10-20 questions that test the most important concepts we want the students to leave the class with.

For my job, the best authentic assessments, are those that involve putting into practice the processes/transactions that I’ve just trained them in the exact scenarios they will use them on the job. I also find that a role-play with a colleague is a wonderful way to assess their understanding of the material. If in person, we can try to simulate a branch or their office and have them complete everyday transactions that they will encounter once they get on ‘the floor’.

In order to incorporate academic needs, I’ll always start out by identifying the objectives and answering the question, “What’s In It For Me” (WII-FM). I also always like to be as hands on and interactive with class activities to make sure the students are actively involved in the learning. I’ll try and give instructions in various different ways, they will always be written down in their Participant Guide, but also either read them aloud, or have volunteers read the instructions aloud. I even have one activity where we act out the instructions, and that becomes part of the lesson, as the lesson is about communication. I will always encourage and congratulate those who are actively participating and gently encourage those who are not. I like to go around and give feedback as I walk around the class, especially when students are doing solo work. Finally, I’ll always stay positive and be the model of an active listening, caring trainer, which will hopefully make them feel comfortable enough to ask questions, have some fun, and be more receptive to learning.