Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu
Blog Owner
Blogger Name

URSA Week 14

May 25th, 2022

This week I wanted to get a full lesson plan out for one of the first four lessons that I have drafted. I wanted to go over the design lesson (lesson 2) because there are easy and fun activities for all of the students to understand and have some fun with after the lesson. This lesson goes over the design processes engineers go through in their jobs and how products and technology are created. The lesson also goes over the evolution of a design.

Lesson 2: What is Design?

Objective: Learn about all parts of design and how engineers create products and technology. Learn about the different mediums of design and the use of different tools to help engineers design their projects. Students will be able to describe different techniques and their uses. Students will learn the basics of CAD modeling and will practice their skills. Students will be able to talk and know about the process and the steps for design. Students will practice the engineering design process and come up with their own design using the process and present their design and talk about its features, etc.

Learning Activities: Quick lecture on different modeling and design techniques and what uses design has in the engineering world. The lecture will cover different techniques of design and how engineers use them. Slides will be used as visual aids with print-outs for accessible learning. Students will then work on two separate worksheets on the engineering design process and work in the CAD modeling program TinkerCAD.

Student Evaluation: Students will be evaluated by their worksheets and the TinkerCAD build they make on the site after the lesson. The students can make whatever they want but what they make will have to fit into certain requirements such as: the build must have 3 or more components, the build must be less than 3ft in length, the build must have a function, etc. The worksheets will be graded on completion, not correctness.

Timeline: The lesson all together will be 30 minutes. A typical class period is in between 45-60 minutes, so the rest of the class will be spent working on the student practice and the fun activity of basic CAD modelling through TinkerCAD online where the student can build what they want. The lecture itself will be about 15-20 minutes with some breathing room for questions and deeper explanation on certain topics if necessary. The rest of the time on the lesson will be used with either videos of engineers explaining the process further with examples or will be used with a Kahoot quiz on the process and other bits of engineering design.

Student Practice: Students will practice content with design worksheets. The first worksheet is a simple write-in-the-answer practice on design and the design methodology engineers follow. The worksheet will also have a short answer piece where they can explore their own design and follow the engineering design process like an engineer. They can choose what topic they want to use the process on. An example of what this would look like is here. The second worksheet will be where they draw out their design and explain what it is and how it works and what problem it solves. The worksheet will again ask them about the engineering design process and would like something like this. The students will also get some practice with the CAD program TinkerCAD, which is a great introduction to CAD modeling and is relatively simple to use. The students can attempt to make their design on TinkerCAD but are free to choose whatever they would like to model.

That is my lesson plan for that day, later I will add the other lessons when I have time. This is the second to last week of URSA. It has been a long and wonderful journey that I am greatly appreciative for. I have learned so much, and I am so happy that I did this research. It has also helped me confirm one of my passions-teaching. So in light of that, I added the education minor to my degree, and I will eventually receive my teaching certificate and be able to actually be a teacher and maybe even teach this class.

More to come next week,

-Chloe