Blog Post #2

We are now on to week three of the Online Capstone Project and a lot has happened since I last posted here.

First off, I was assigned my team members for the quarter: Eric and Rohit. Eric and I have worked together on projects in the past and we were happy that the instructor considered our team preferences and assigned us to the same team. Rohit seems to complement our team nicely since he prefers to work on the frontend while Eric and I like working on the backend.

I was also happy to see that I was assigned my first choice for the Capstone Project: the Job Tracking App. I was interested in this project because I am currently on the job hunt and I am currently tracking my job search in Microsoft Excel. I felt that I have a good idea for what users would want to track when it comes to their job search and I am excited to see how those ideas translate to this project. For example, I make sure to separately track rejections and whether or not I had an interview. If I am receiving an overwhelming amount of rejections but not receiving any interviews, I know that my resume is not passing the initial screening and needs some improvements. If I am landing interviews and still getting rejected, I know that I need to improve my preparation for the interviews. The project description also gave me some good ideas for additional metrics that I can track in my own job search and I am excited to implement those as well.

At this point, we have completed our Project Plan and are now working on the first steps for the project. This week I am implementing authorization, likely using OAuth 2.0, and setting up the database. The completion of these tasks will set the foundation for the rest of our work in the upcoming weeks.