The Beginning of the End

The end is nigh. The final quarter has arrived and one final project stands between myself, my supposed freedom and new life as a software engineer. The journey has been long, though it seems it started just yesterday. Crazy to think that just two years ago, I began my journey towards a new career. My previous career as a physical therapist has been rewarding. I have been able to work with people and truly make an impact on their lives. However, it was not a career that I felt I could sustain until retirement. Through some soul searching, a longstanding love for technology, and a few chats with my wife and a few friends, I arrived at the OSU post-bacc to work towards a new career.

The past two years have been quite the ride. Balancing work and school has not been easy, but with the help of a supportive family, and a group of friends in the program, I’ve made it to the final quarter. I look forward to working with some of the people that I have gone through the program with, and creating a project that can be used in our portfolio to present to future employers. Unlike a lot of people in the program, I have not had the opportunity to participate in a professional internship. This does not have me discouraged, however, as I think that there are many routes that people can take to land their first job in software engineering or other computer science roles. I have long been interested in cloud technology, especially AWS, and hope to begin working towards gaining some certifications. I believe that the certifications will help open some opportunities that the degree and internships may not. Specifically I have been looking into first obtaining my Certified Cloud Practitioner, which is an entry level certification, and then, with my interest in software development, working towards Certified Developer Associate. As an ever developing technology, I find the cloud space to be very interesting, and hope to one day have a career related to that technology.

In addition to finishing the program in December, my wife and I are expecting our first child! I would have to say that will be one hell of a way to celebrate finishing this degree and starting a whole new chapter of our lives. I am looking forward to this final quarter and the feeling of accomplishment that will come with finishing the program. Good luck to all those who are in their final quarter and those who must be close! This truly is the beginning to the end, but a new adventure awaits at the end of this next road.

For your enjoyment, here is a picture from our recent “babymoon” trip to Joshua Tree National park, highly recommend!

One response to “The Beginning of the End”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.