The Interview Process

Interviewing has been a lot of work and can be a bit stressful. I have found that school has done an ok job at the basics for interview prep, but just taking classes will not adequately prepare you for interviews. I have only had experience interviewing at large companies (Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Uber). I have found the interview process is basically doing 5 Leetcode medium questions. Sometimes they are one a whiteboard and during covid most have been with an IDE of some sort. The companies generally don’t care what language you use. I have been using Java and C#. Google mainly asked graph search type questions, Facebook asked a bit easier questions (Leetcode easy-medium), but you had to get 2 done in 45 minutes for each of the 5 interviews. Most of the time there is a brute force solution that is probably pretty easy to come up with, but there is generally a faster answer and they will expect you to talk about the run time differences and the Big-O of the algorithm. They also may ask about why you would chose certain data structures. The entry level jobs normally only have coding questions and possibly a question about designing an object oriented piece of code. The SWE2 and Senior positions can contain a system design question. This is normally about how you would design the infrastructure of a site. Like using a load balancer and CDN’s and what type of database you would pick. This is the type of question I feel school is really missing out on. I have been looking for places to learn this information. Once site I really like is Algo expert. They have a system design portion that I feel is really good. There are also some good youtube series on this. I have also been trying to work on setting up different things in Azure so that I have used some of the features that would be useful when designing a bigger system. My current goal is getting better at this design question, especially because it is pretty interesting how to make a site that can scale and handle massive amounts of data.