Job Descriptions

The last job I had was at a local coffee stand in my hometown of Port Angeles, Washington. The job description included a heavy amount of customer service, making and serving breakfast foods and coffee drinks, and working with cash and credit card payments. Being customer friendly was really emphasized in the description and it lined up directly with what I did on the job. We dealt with hundreds of customers daily and the stand I was working for takes pride in their customer service. Being kind and friendly was a major requirement. This was the main thing that caught my eye in the job description aside from the fact that I had always wanted to learn how to make coffee. The job worked out great because I am very outgoing and personable, so customer service was the perfect line of work for me. I found that talking with customers and helping them start their day off with a coffee and some good conversation was very rewarding. A big thing that the job description did not cover though, was restocking the stand, cutting different breads for the breakfast foods, and ordering more product. The baristas are responsible for cutting all bagels, croissants, English muffins, and then wrapping dessert muffins to be put out for sale. We are also in charge of taking inventory and placing orders to restock products. Cutting, wrapping, and inventory are all very time consuming tasks and we had to be able to fit them into the rest of our work day while also balancing helping out the customers that were constantly coming through. Getting everything done that is asked of us in one day can be really challenging sometimes depending on the flow of traffic and it is definitely something that I think should have been mentioned in the job description. (Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the job description)