Blog Post #2

How are you using AI in your project (or another one)? What are some pros and cons? Has it made you a better programmer?

I use AI all the time for syntax questions, or trying to decipher why certain error messages may be occurring. Sometimes I’ll use it to get the idea of simple syntax (how to format a certain API call, for instance) of some code I am unfamiliar with. I am not using it so much in the current capstone project, but it has seen a lot of use in my personal projects. Obviously one of the largest pros is being able to ask in depth questions that Google Search wouldn’t be able to handle. Being able to brainstorm with AI tools has been very useful and helps to elucidate my own thought process. That being said, it can often get off topic with more complicated queries, and occasionally with simpler queries put out just plain incorrect information. Using it as supplemental information and a jumping off point has been very helpful, but using it as a single point of reference is just asking to jump off into a black hole of misinformation and confusion.

Overall, AI has been extremely useful as a way to bounce off ideas and questions, as well as generating code for simple syntax queries. It is incredibly important that the user maintain a good base knowledge of the concepts they are asking about, so they can readily detect when the AI is spewing out misinformation.