“Mountains, Marathons, and Machines: Living the Oregon Tech Life”

Introduction

Hey there! I’m Lucas…or Luke, depending on when you met me. I went by Luke until I moved to Oregon after high school. For some reason, folks here preferred Lucas, and who was I to argue? So, Luke is pre-Oregon, Lucas is post-Oregon. Just don’t use a ‘K,’ that’s strictly reserved for Luke… just kidding!

The Best Coast – West Coast!

Coming to you from the picturesque Salem, OR, where on clear days, I’m greeted by the majestic view of Mt. Hood from my bedroom window – not a bad sight to wake up to, if I do say so myself. The saying is true; the West Coast is the best coast! (East Coasters, how do you manage to stay up for the night games?) We might miss some of the early games, but we’ve got the sunset views and beautiful mountains to compensate!

Family, Four-legged Friends, and Running!

I’m happily married to Amy, and we’re parents to our lovely six-year-old, Ada, and our adorable fur babies, Chip (an Australian Shepherd) and Roscoe (a Beagle Coonhound mix).

And, here’s a plot twist – the former couch potato me has transformed into an avid runner since May! I’ve managed to run two 5k races, a 10k race, and I’m gearing up for a Trail Half Marathon in November. My current PRs are, 5K – 24:39, 10K – 49:37, Half Marathon – 2:01:26!

How did I end up here?

So, how did I get started with computers or software, you ask? It probably began with my couch potato phase and a love for video games. Originally, I aspired to be a game designer and started my schooling at Full Sail University in their game design courses, but it wasn’t my cup of tea. After a few detours and some introspection, I found my passion in cybersecurity, a field that combines my military experience, love for technology, and various other interests, proving to be a perfect fit for me.

Favorite Projects?

The project that resonates with me the most from this course is the “Website Security Research Project.” Getting hands-on experience with penetration testing on Hack the Box and using DVWA in Defense Against The Dark Arts during spring term was fascinating. Working on this project would allow me to delve deeper into security and also provide insights into web development.

Wrapping Up

I’m super excited about meeting my team and collaboratively creating something we all can be proud of!