Introduction

Hello! My name is Devon, I live in the Boston area. When I was 12, I tried to become a viral Sims 3 blogger. Needless to say, I failed at that. Nonetheless, I think I’ll have a good time writing a blog for this course, I just have to channel my inner child.

I chose to go into Computer Science for a couple of reasons. The first is a common reason, in that I really enjoy figuring out how stuff works. The second reason is that I wasn’t overly excited by the direction my career was headed. I was working at a before and after school program for middle schoolers, studying to take the GRE, and researching graduate schools with the goal of becoming a pediatric therapist. I really enjoyed working with that age group, but I felt a little bit like I had made a decision to do that when I was really young and hadn’t thought much about if that was really the path I wanted after I decided it. Then Covid-19 hit and I had a ton of time to reflect. After a lot of thought, I decided to pivot, and here I am now! I definitely feel I made the right choice, as every day that I work towards this degree, I’m having fun and feeling mentally stimulated, even when things get dicey.

In terms of the Capstone project, the main ones I am interested in are the AR Arcade Classics, and AR Popup Storybook Companion App. I took Introduction to Computer Graphics in the Fall, and was really intrigued by the brief section on AR/VR, and have since been looking for an excuse to mess around with those technologies. There are a lot of interesting applications for AR/VR, both for leisure and business or safety. I would love to work on something safety related with AR/VR some day, something like an industrial training program or something along those lines, but I think making something a little less high stakes is a good way to learn how the technology works. I also really love video games, including arcade classics (especially Tetris!), so getting to work on that project would be a blast!

Before I sign off, I’ll leave you with a couple of fun facts about me:

1. I have a fraternal twin sister.
  2. My favorite color is orange, which I started liking as a joke around 7 years ago because I felt like nobody liked it. It’s real now though.
  3. My second fun fact also applies to oranges, as in the fruit.
  4. My favorite movies are ones where watching it a second time heavily enhances the experience. My favorite of these is Arrival.