Introduction

Hello and welcome to my Tech Blog! My name is John Boyle but I go by my middle name, Nik. In this post I will give a brief introduction of myself, my journey at OSU and my interests.

Currently, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. I’ve been working in the oil and gas industry as a natural gas trader for the past 5 years and while it has been a rewarding and well paying position I have struggled to find enjoyment and purpose in my work. My passion in coding first started in high school over 10 years ago when I first learnt the basics of HTML, CSS and Javascript but I never took it seriously until after graduating college. Over the past few years I have taught myself programming and about a year and a half ago I made the decision to go all in on my education with the OSU postbac CS degree. I have learned so much over the years and honed my skills to the point where I feel confident in taking on any programming challenge!

In my future career I hope to work on full stack web applications, either front end or back end. My favorite technologies are React, Node/Express and Postgres. Some of the new technologies I want to work with include GraphQL, Django and Machine Learning and AI. The projects I was most interested by in the course list are the travel planner, pet dating app and craigslist clone. I believe each of these projects provide significant technical challenges which I look forward to tackling. I’m hoping to gain more experience working in a team environment with proper version control and test suites. The majority of my previous applications have been personal projects which can be quick and fun to develop but don’t provide a realistic programming experience. Overall I am very excited for this course and getting started building our project!

One response to “Introduction”