Blog Post #1

Week 1 Questions

Image: Text-based description rendered graphically with Midjourney AI

Welcome!

However you found your way to my blog, welcome! It’s an honor to have you here, and I hope you will find the observations and thoughts I share on this journey to be enjoyable or useful. My name is Jennifer Bowers, and I am currently in my final term of the CS Online post-baccalaureate program at Oregon State University. It’s exciting to have made it this far! My first degree is in Psychology, and I’m also working towards obtaining my Cybersecurity Certificate alongside the CS degree. With the rapid pace of technological innovation, I’m looking forward to the opportunities that lie ahead.

Why did you choose the projects you did on the survey? What makes them interesting to you?

The six choices at the top of my list are as follows:

• Malware Analysis
  • AI Coder
  • Web Security Research
  • Dating App for Animals
  • Cross Platform Personal Trainer
  • Text Based Adventure Game

I am particularly interested in the Malware Analysis project, as it aligns well with my current area of study and personal interests. Some such interests include data loss prevention, penetration testing, incidence response and forensic analysis, secure mobile development, chain of command, environmental security risks, and motivating factors behind cyber security threats or attacks, and educating end-users. The Web Security Research project also falls into this security category and would be fascinating. The AI Coder project is one of my top favorites! With AI tools becoming increasingly integrated into our daily lives and activities, staying at the forefront of AI possibilities and available technology is essential. As someone who is deeply fascinated by the power of computing, I’m eager to find ways of making productive use of AI.  Besides, as stated in the project description, who doesn’t want to find “new ways to become a coding ninja”? The last three projects listed are phenomenal opportunities to apply the skills I have learned in the CS program at OSU. I chose these projects specifically because I have a passion for animals, training in the gym, and adventure games. Having a bit of passion behind development is a key ingredient for success.

What do you hope to learn from the course? This Capstone course provides opportunity for learning and skill development. By participating in this course, I will have the chance to enhance my team building, leadership, coding, problem-solving, collaboration, time management, UI design and development, project management, and communication skills, while gaining invaluable real-world experience. I hope not only to improve as a team member and computer science major but also to gain a deeper understanding of my strengths and weaknesses so that I may leverage them to maximize my growth. In essence, I aim to acquire new knowledge, sharpen my skills, and become better equipped to tackle the challenges ahead.

What type of person are you, in terms of a group dynamic? Contributor, Collaborator, Communicator, Leader, Planner, … I appreciate group work environments where my teammates are driven and motivated to complete our coursework. I highly value open communication and enjoy when my peers share their thoughts and ideas, even if they are different from my own. While filling out the Choose Your Project survey, I realized I have qualities associated with each “type of person” in a group dynamic, whether it be Contributor, Collaborator, Communicator, Leader, Planner, or other. As a team member, I actively contribute to group discussions and collaborate effectively with my peers. I am comfortable assuming a leadership role when necessary, while also listening attentively to the input of others. I take responsibility for my individual tasks and ensure that they align with the group’s overall goals. Given my tendencies and approach to group work, I consider myself a “Team Player,” and strive to ensure the success of the group as a whole.

,