Blog Assignment – MGMT 453

The companies that I chose to read about were Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, JM Family Enterprise Inc, and BayCare Health Services. I decided to choose these businesses because of the role of management that I would like to play with my business management major when I graduate this spring. They all represent a different part of things that I would be interested in going into the business industry after I am done with school. While looking at these companies, I noticed that the words used to describe these places are team, care, benefits, people. When looking at the topic descriptions of these companies, you can see that this is a place of work that is caring about the employee, and the qualities that all companies should strive to have. 

As becoming a manager myself, I would like to have a team oriented atmosphere. I have observed businesses, and I believe that coming together, being a team, can positively affect the business and how it is run. No matter what the job title is, I think that co-workers can help each other out in many ways. As a manager, I would also like to be strong, confident in what I am doing, and also acknowledge my employees that I am approachable, that they can come to me with a situation and I am there to help them. 

As a manager, there will be challenges that occur. I think the biggest challenge that I am going to face is being the one that makes the final decisions. I like to make decisions, but I also like to have opinions thrown at me, and can be indecisive at times to make the tough call without some guidance along the way. I think another challenge of mine is going to be the pressure to have the business be successful, meeting the sales criteria, and staying on top of the tasks needed to be done. Although these things are something that I am intimidated by, I know that being more observant, understanding lectures, and coming together as a team will help me with these challenges throughout my management career.