Writing Exercise #14

List of as many human non-infectious diseases that I can think of that are influenced by microorganisms.

• Celiac Disease
  • Cancer (Stomach,Esophageal, Intestinal, Rectal,Skin, Oral, Etc.)
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Diabetes
  • Heart Disease
  •  Periodontal disease
  • Tooth Decay
  • Allergies
  • Alzheimer’s
  • Obesity
  • Asthma
  • Atopic Dermatitis

Referring back to my writing assignment #1 I have a few more diseases written down here. I think I would have even more if I had more time. This class has given me enough evidence to know that microorganisms are responsible or at least trigger the onset of many non infectious diseases. Looking at this now I am actually quite surprised that there isn’t more diseases that are directly related to the populations of microorganism on the body.

The relationship we share with microorganisms is fascinating. The future of microbiology and the study of how microbes interact with human health is on the rise, If I could go back to freshman year and rethink my degree I might just get into Microbiology so I could focus more of my studies on this topic. Its easy to get overwhelmed by the hype of this field, but there is a reason for the hype and I think we will be seeing many new discovers in the near future.