MGMT 453- Blog 1

Many people would say the success of a company is based off of how well the company is at selling or producing to its customers, but this is wrong. After investing the article “Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For 2020.” I made the discovery that some of the best and most successful companies are successful because of their employees. I researched three different companies all in very different fields including The Hilton, The Cheese Cake Factory, and Bank of America. All companies received extremely positive feedback from there employees. But what do these three very different companies have in common? Every single one scored in the 90% for “When you join the company, you are made to feel welcome.”

This couldn’t all be a coincidence, even more so because the question is specifically about when you join the company. So maybe the saying “you never get a second change to make a first impression” – Will Rogers was true. If that is the case than that is every future Managers key to starting off their career, making a good impression. Some people may disagree with that statement about first impressions but if it’s not true, then why have so many people in our life told us to dress professional to an interview. To prepare. Why only one interview, are you going to get to know some in just one interview?  Likely not. But you may get a good impression of them. First impressions are key.

Overall, I think one of the greatest skills to have is being able to wow someone with a first impression. This is how networking occurs, this is how interviews are, this is also why we are taught elevator speeches, and told to dress professional. My goal as a manager would be to have someone recognize that one, the first impression of me was great, and two that my first impression is actually how I am all the time.