Job Interviews

Personal Experience

My personal experience as a job applicant and participating in interviews is fairly limited due to the fact that I have been involved in a lot of extracurricular activities such as playing college football to go along with pursuing my education. However, I do have some experience with the process and have found it to be effective for the most part in selecting the right individual for the job. Overall, the interviews that I have participated in have been both reliable and valid. When it comes to the reliability of the interview, the interview yielded consistent and stable results because the same predetermined questions were asked to each applicant. This allows the company to compare answers evenly across the board when the question variable is held constant. From my experience, the interview and job applicant were valid as well in that there was a high degree in which applicant performance on the interview was related to their actual performance on the job. I was able to observe this because once I actually starting working the job, I had competent and skilled coworkers which meant that the company did a nice job of selecting and employing potential prospects. As far as the utility of the interview goes, I think it was a useful tool for the company to use in the application process because it gave them an opportunity to see what I was like as a genuine human being and how well I operated in personal settings.

Suggestions for Improvement

If I could go back and advise my employers on how to improve the effectiveness of their interviews, I would tell them to make sure to bring an open mind to the interview and to not make quick, instinctual judgements based on appearance and presentation. Often times, interviewers will look for someone that is similar to themselves when conducting interviews. Replicating themselves in hiring contributes to the prevalent gender segregation of jobs, with, for example, male bankers hiring more male bankers and female teachers hiring more female teachers (Bohnet, 2016). The employers have to make sure they are aware of this tendency and emphasize the importance of hiring based on who is the most qualified for the job and not allow other factors to influence this decision.

Academic interview questions

Works Cited:

Bohnet, I. (2016, July 18). How to Take the Bias Out of Interviews. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2016/04/how-to-take-the-bias-out-of-interviews.

1 comment

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.