Stress

After taking the 3 surveys I found out that my stress levels are moderate. I scored a 190 on the life stress inventory, which implies that I have a 50% chance to have a major mental breakdown in the next 2 years. I thought that this percentage seemed very high for me because I don’t think I’m anywhere near a mental breakdown. After completing the coping and stress management skills test, I scored a 64. This resulted in the conclusion that I use problem-focused strategies in order to cope with stress. This is good for controllable situations but not for uncontrollable situations. I think out of the 3 tests the type A personality test was the most accurate. It stated that I was most often a warm and tolerable person but at times when stressed or frustrated I can lash out in anger or frustration. It states that this type of personality has a higher risk of heart disease, which really opened my eyes to needing to work on this problem. In my professional career, I am a project engineer for construction. There is always stress in this industry when I come to deadlines and fixing problems. I think one way that I can reduce the amount of stress Is by asking for help instead of trying to do everything by myself. Delegation is key to reducing the amount of stress in construction. Stress in construction can lead to heart attacks and high blood pressure, which can kill you. Organizations are creating positive work environments and giving benefits such as vacation days and sick days to help combat stress. Allowing people to get away from work and still get paid is a great way to allow them to burn off some stress.