Compensation and Benefit in the workplace

Compensation and benefits can play a large role in making big decisions in someone’s life. For me, this happened when I was looking for an internship as a project engineer. I had interviewed with multiple companies that I was interested in and got an offer from 2 of the 3 companies. Both companies were going to pay the same and give me a company phone and computer, however the company I ended up going with provided me with a company truck and an iPad. With this truck, I was given a fuel card and tools in the toolbox. Both the truck and iPad were huge benefits that really persuaded my decision to go with that company. These benefits motivated me because not having to pay for gas and not put miles on my personal truck was a huge plus for me, because I was doing a lot of commuting between jobs and my personal truck is a diesel that only gets around 15-18 miles per gallon. The fact that the company was willing to give me so much stuff to help me do my job in the best possible way was very appealing to me. I felt a greater sense of worth because the company was willing to spend extra money for a vehicle that I could use. I think that if it was only the iPad that was different between the 2 companies then my decision could have gone either way but in the end, it was the fact that I was given a truck that helped me make my decision.