Trading Card Games and You: An Adventure Begins!

Back of a Magic Card, Wizards of the Coast

Capstone projects have been assigned, and my teammates and I are going to be creating an application that will allow users to create their own trading card games, or TCGs! This is a topic that I have a lot of personal connection to. My childhood consisted of many Magic the Gathering games with my dad and my brother, as well as forays into Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.

That being said, I’m not sure how much knowledge about card games is going to help me while creating this application and how much it will just get me stuck in the proverbial weeds. We are pretty unlikely to create anything as complex as Magic in the space of a few months, and the urge to conform to the systems that I am used to might cause me to advocate for more complexity than we can handle.

On the other hand, passion for the “source material” will probably help me stay engaged with the project, and might help me understand systems and tasks that we will need to work on. I’m excited to confer with my teammates about what kind of sandbox we want to create to offer our users customizable systems. The idea of really boiling down card games to their elemental parts is very appealing to me.

Overall, I am excited to start the project, and hope that my team and I get along well!