Building A Game to Build Games

For my capstone project we are building a game using Unreal Engine. The game we are building is a program that lets you build and play simple board games. I’ve dipped my toe into using unreal engine before but this is the first time I’m helping to build anything substantial. I like unreal engine because it allows a lot of freedom in how you can accomplish things. This can be both a boon and a bane. My team has been surprised at how sometimes a system or method of doing something common in game creation does not seem standardized. The lack of support for common systems leads to often having to implement a system that seemed like it should be easy to have canned in the engine already. The trade off though is that those systems are able to be more customized to your specific game than they would be if they were prepackaged. This also allows for developers to create tools and plugins that can be shared with the unreal community and used by teams that don’t want or necessarily need a completely customized system. I’m excited to continue using unreal engine and hope to be able to build more projects in it even after the capstone is over.

One reply on “Building A Game to Build Games”