Week 9 Blog Assignment/Discussion

For the Homes-Rahe Life Stress Inventory my score came out to 27. The reason why is because of major holidays (12 points) and major change in eating habits (15 points). I learned that I didn’t have much stress overall, but the things mentioned in the “test” I probably will experience in the near future. For the Coping and Stress Management Skills Test my results indicated that I sometimes use problem-focused strategies in order to cope with stress. My score was 56 on problem-focused coping. For the Type A Personality Survey, I scored a 32 for impatience and irritability. It says “while characterized by warmth and tolerance the majority of the time, may occasionally be tinged with impatience and hostility. When you’re stressed or frustrated, you may lash out at others or end up stewing in anger or frustration, but this is very rare.” I totally agree with this and I need to work on some of my hostile attitude.  

Steps that you can take to manage stress through your professional career is being able to talk about it with someone or if your organization has programs to help with health. If you are able to talk to a friend or significant other that will help manage stress and if you aren’t able to, I would go to a counselor. I believe an organization should increase awareness of the signs of stress, learning to interrupt behavior patterns when the stress reactions are just beginning, learn skills of active coping and relaxation, and develop a plan to minimize the stressors (SHRM).

Citations

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/employee-relations/pages/how-managers-can-help-stressed-workers-.aspx