Internship Time!

Hello everyone and welcome back for Week 6!

I thought I’d switch gears from discussing the inspiration behind my CS journey and my groups Capstone project to discuss something different—the internship that I have coming up this summer!

It is amazing to see my hard work culminate into this internship. Amid preparing for interview and going through the process in Fall of 2021, I faced uncertainty with knowing whether I was prepared and where I would land. Finally, my efforts paid off when I was offered an internship for this summer in Chicago with Discover Financial Services! I am so excited to get out there in the workplace and learn things hands-on. As much as the online school experience has been beneficial, I can’t wait to work with an in-person team and collaborate with others on projects. I am also looking forward to getting out of the classroom and seeing how the workplace functions day-to-day. I want to know how products come to life and I want to see what a typical work week looks like for a software engineer.

At this moment, I don’t yet know what team I’ll be working on or the type of work I’ll be doing. I am hoping to do something related to cybersecurity, because this is a topic I am very interested in but have little experience with. I also imagine that a financial institution would have robust security infrastructure in place where a lot could be learned. As we are nearing the end of the quarter (and getting closer to summer) I am enthusiastic for what lies ahead of me!