To protect the common Interest

The definition of Anthropocene is a geological time period dating from the beginning of significant human impact on Earth’s ecosystems. In The Historical Roots of our Ecological Crisis, White discusses his beliefs that humans and Christianity has negatively impacted the ecology of the world. His first argument is that all living things impact their environment, which I believe most people would agree. As species are introduced to different environments and different natural disasters, among many other events, populations of all organisms are continually impacted. However, people have done things to cause severe damage to the ecological system. White describes that human ecology is deeply defined through a cultures beliefs about nature. White delves into how he believes that Christianity is responsible for the destruction and damage done to the ecological system. He explains that Christianity gave man the mindset that nature exists to serve man, and therefore nature has been exploited and damaged. White praises western science and technology, but explains that more science and technology will not heal or stop the destruction, only changing the mindset of the people to respect and care for nature will. I do understand and relate to some of White’s ideas. For example, I  personally choose not to eat meat because I love animals (pre-vet major!) and it doesn’t feel right to me because I am aware of how animals suffer and don’t always have the living conditions I wish they would all have. Lots of people feel entitled to use animals for their purposes (aside from meat), but I am someone who does not see animals beneath people. Not all people who eat meat and use animal products view animals in this way, which makes the conversation interesting because so many people have different experiences and views on things. Some people take a viewpoint of gratitude and respect and want the animals to live in good welfare and have the least stressful processing experience possible — something I support as progress to a better world. This is an example of although people have different views, we may have more in common than we think and it is possible for people to work together to find a solution.

In the other text written by the Pope, it is addressed the global destruction that is and has been occurring, but takes a different viewpoint on it. Instead of blaming Christianity for the damage, it calls people to make changes to protect the ecological system as it was given to us by God, and therefore we should care for it. Their goal is to restore nature to how it was originally given to us, by changing attitudes and lifestyles. My take on the connection between these two articles is that although people can disagree and have different opinions on a topic, it is still possible to work together to come to a solution to protect the common interest. 

Lynn White, Jr., “The Ecologic Roots of Our Ecologic Crisis,” Science 155:3767 (10 March 1967), 1203-1207.

Pope Francis,**Laudato Si