Woes of Job-Hunting

It is no secret that job-hunting for most people is not fun. In fact, if you like job-hunting or overall enjoy the process, consider yourself a unicorn.

Last year during October, I pushed myself hard to find an internship, I spend most of my free time outside of school hunting. It was a process that was long, rough, and it made my imposter syndrome far worse. At the end of this long process, I finally got an internship with a company asked me about my personal projects which related to the job far more than any coding assessment and impressed my manager.

Excerpt of my compiled job-hunting Google Sheet.

Now that October is here again, and my graduation quickly on the horizon, I am in full swing of job-hunting once again. In an effort to really see how much work I am putting in to this process while in school, I decided that I was going to track the jobs that I applied to in a Google Sheet. I am also someone who tends to like numbers, given that my first degree was in Mathematics with a focus on statistics. I was greatly interested in the numbers game I would be playing trying to find an entry level job during an economic downturn right before I graduate.

Current running total of my job applications, rejections, ghosts, initial phone screens, interviews, and offers.

Ironically, when my capstone group was given the list of potential projects we could do, the fact that two of us were job hunting was a huge reason why we wanted to do the job tracker project. Not only this, but the two of us were also compiling similar lists of what jobs we had applied for. We realized that we knew really well what the end user’s needs would be for a website like this. Not only this, but we had a lot of data we could use for the development database, since we both had very similar tables. As a group we also understood that job hunting will never be fun, but making it easier to track what jobs you have applied to, and have numbers on it, does make life a lot easier.

While job-hunting is a long and difficult process, luckily as a group we were given the information and drive to make something of it. Hopefully the job-hunt gets better in the future, but while that happens we get to make a really cool project that will help us in the future.