Introduction

Hello and welcome! My name is Noah Hudkins and I am excited to start documenting my progress, findings, struggles, triumphs, and more through this outlet. As we have not started much real work or progress on our projects, I will start off by introducing myself and give some of my background.

As mentioned above, my name is Noah Hudkins and I am entering my Senior year at Oregon State. I am majoring in computer science with a focus in cyber security. I started my college experience at Chemeketa Community College and completed my transfer degree there.

Originally, computer science was not actually my first choice of major but was one that I quickly found interest in have a passion for coding. I originally wanted to become a civil engineer before doing a job shadow and realizing it was one of the most boring experiences of my life. I soon after took a class for introductory coding and instantly was hooked on creating and discovering new and exciting things.

I live in the Salem, Oregon area with my wife on a 19 acre filbert(hazelnut) orchard. My wife and I have been married almost 10 months now and while we have no pets or kids, we are exploring the possibility of getting a dog. I love to be outdoors and love to be active. I have played basketball for as long as I can remember and enjoy hiking and exploring new places.

I currently work as a software technician at Garmin AT on our tools team where we maintain, improve and develop software used for testing aviation software. It originally started as a summer internship but as I found a high interest in it and the team lost a few team members it turned into a permanent position.

The project that I will be working on for my senior capstone project is the A-Life-Challenge. A brief description of this is to create an artificial life environment.

While we haven’t gotten a lot of the big details on what the scope of the assignment will be or any of the requirements of the assignment, my team members and I have seen many different ideas from other sources of similar projects that have been created. Those projects have been interesting to read about and see what it took to develop and maintain the development of them. Here are a few that we have explored if you are looking for a concept of what an artificial life environment may look like (I know that I initially had no idea what it would look like or be like).

https://alien-project.org/

These two projects provide various ideas and examples of what we may be creating but it will be interesting to talk about and understand more of what will be expected from this project.

Overall, I am looking forward to sharing my progress here and showing people the project and scope of what we are creating.

-Noah