Red, White and Blue: Union Jack, That Is

Today was ripe with introductions! Firstly, to my main class during my time in London, ENG 204H: Survey of British Literature (Beginnings to 1660), and secondly, to the western portion of the city and the riverfront.

In addition to exploring and experiencing a new culture while abroad, I get to learn more in two subjects with which I have little to no knowledge:

My profile & the Thames' profile!
My profile & the Thames’ profile!

medieval to early modern literature and physics. My English lit class met for the first time this morning, and we began with several fun, interactive activities to establish a foundation for us to build upon as we read works like Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, etc. One of these activities involved finding examples of kennings, which, in Old English poetry, are compounds of two words that together offer a metaphorical description/synonym of an ordinary word. Some of them are hilarious! A friend joked that we should bring them back… “You have beautiful head-gems (eyes)!” Also, make fog or mist seem more exciting by calling it ‘cloud-murk’!

Wow!
Wow!

After a break for lunch, we all met as a group to walk to the Tower of London. There, we got on a double-decker, open-top bus with a great tour guide, who spun tales and pointed out significant/interesting/funny places around the western portion of the city. I was most excited to see Big Ben up close, and I later found out that the name ‘Big Ben’ actually refers to

Quintessential London... Bustling sidewalks, black cabs, gorgeous flats, red phone booths, the London Eye on the horizon... Also, and advert for the comedy 'Naked Musicians'!
Quintessential London… Bustling sidewalks, black cabs, gorgeous flats, red phone booths, the London Eye on the horizon… Also, an advert for the comedy ‘Naked Magicians’!

the 13 ton bell inside the tower, not the building itself! Our route took us all along the Thames and the many famous landmarks in that part of London, most of which we’ll be visiting on foot later. Tomorrow, we’re taking a turn on the London Eye!

Published by

Jane Myrick

Jane Myrick is a full-time student at the Honors College at Oregon State University.

2 thoughts on “Red, White and Blue: Union Jack, That Is”

1. Hi, Jane, I just read all your blogs, so far. That was a big “pond” you flew over! I’m so happy for you to have this experience! Have fun and learn a lot!
    Priscilla

1. Hi Priscilla! Thank you so much; I’m really enjoying my time here and am soaking up as much as possible!