Hello world!

Here I am completing a journey that was started almost 20 years ago. When I graduated high school in 2003 I started college as a Comp Sci major. I made very good grades in high school with very little effort, but my computer science courses were a shock to my system. I hadn’t learned how to properly study or how to navigate topics that I didn’t naturally understand. I did well in my introductory programming classes but once I got to the Analysis of Algorithms course it seemed to be a mountain too high for me to climb. I switched my major to business and loaded up on finance classes, because math and numbers came easy to me. I graduated in 2006 and found a career that seemed to suit me well.

But then in 2014, I decided I wanted a change. It irked me that I didn’t finish what I started and I remembered how I did enjoy programming, so when I saw that OSU was offering a comp sci degree for those who already had a degree I decided to enroll. Since I was working full time and had kids at home I only took 1 or 2 courses per semester. I started off so well and I was really enjoying myself, but then it happened again. The dreaded Analysis of Algorithms…. My first effort resulted in a drop within the first week. My second effort lasted a little longer but I ended up withdrawing with a W. I was discouraged again. I had changed jobs and although it wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do, it was better than what I had been doing, so I got complacent.

The year was 2018 and with only 3 courses left to finish my degree I stopped enrolling. I justified stopping the degree with only 3 classes left. I told myself that as a full time working mom with 4 kids I just didn’t have the time. I have a job that pays well and allows the flexibility I need for my family, why do I need to change that? But 4 years later here I am again. I can’t quit Computer Science. I decided I’m going to finish this degree. I enrolled in the dreaded Analysis of Algorithms this past Spring and to my amazement I did very well. Something clicked this time that didn’t click before (The change in the course format and instructor probably helped too). I’m looking forward to the Cloud Development course I’m taking and getting started on my capstone project as well. I’m not exactly sure what the future holds for me career wise, but I’m happy to finally be finishing what I started and I am excited about all the possibilities.

One response to “Hello world!”