From Elementary Algebra to Multivariable Calculus

My journey into the world of computer science took off from a rocky start. High school left me with a trail of rejection letters from every university I applied to, forcing me into community college. My math skills were so elementary that I began with “Elementary Algebra.” It was a humbling start, to say the least.

Yet, I embraced the challenge with determination and a heavy dosage of humble pie. Climbing the math ladder, I progressed from algebra to multivariable calculus, tackling even complex subjects like differential equations and electricity and magnetism. However, my path took an unexpected turn when I transferred to the University of Nevada, Reno to study electrical engineering. The struggle was real, especially since I hadn’t touched a single programming course.

Long story short, I had an epiphany: programming was indispensable in the modern world. So, I redirected my course and headed to Oregon State University to immerse myself in computer science. Now, in my final quarter, my journey from rejection letters and elementary algebra to a computer science major stands as a testament to the power of resilience, adaptation, and a good dose of hard work. When setbacks become stepping stones, success in the world of computer science becomes not just a possibility but a reality worth pursuing.