Oregon State University logo

10 Questions: Daniel Gomis

Daniel Gomis

Daniel Gomis, a recent graduate, came to OSU from Senegal in pursuit of his love for basketball and became involved in many university activities during his time on campus. In addition to playing as a forward for the men’s basketball team, Gomis was an avid intramural soccer player and a member of the African Student Association.

Q. What are three random things about you?
I love soccer.
I love dancing and as soon as a song comes on I want to start grooving.
Thai Chili is my favorite — and the best — restaurant in Corvallis.

Q. What advice would you give to a new OSU student?
Just go out there and enjoy yourself. Make friends because they make your college experience awesome.

Q. What Oregon State experience took you by surprise and why?
When I first came to OSU I had a broken leg. Even though I didn’t know many people, I received so much support not only from my coaches, team and professors, but also from the entire Corvallis community. All the support really made my transition smooth.

Q. What is your favorite memory at OSU?
My favorite memory was having the opportunity to study abroad in Cuba, while I was already in my own study abroad experience as an international student. OSU has given me many opportunities like this that I am very thankful for.

Q. What makes OSU special?
Although it is a large university, you are always able to get any help you need. Professors are very willing to provide you with extra help and do whatever they can to help you succeed. This was key for me being an international student and on the basketball team, because I miss quite a bit of class during the season. The OSU community really makes this all possible.

Q. What class have you enjoyed most at Oregon State?
I really enjoyed all of my anthropology classes. The professors made it interesting.

Q. Why did you choose your major?
The first time I took anthropology I felt like it suited me. The discussion of different cultures and how societies developed really connected with me.

Q. How have your studies influenced you?
My studies have allowed me to see the world in a more complete way. I analyze what is happening and can see why things are the way they are.

Q. How do you plan to use your degree?
I know that I want to do something that will help my people back home in Senegal. I want to make my home country a better place for people to live and grow up in.

Q. Has your time at OSU changed the way you think?
Being at OSU has changed the way I think in a positive way. I have learned a lot about life here. My college experience has helped me become prepared for wherever I am going to end up in my life.