Oregon State University logo

10 Questions: Luis Rivera

Luis Rivera

With interests in dietetics, kinesiology and psychology, Luis Rivera has been involved in a variety of organizations while a student at OSU, such as the Nutrition and Dietetics club; Psi Chi, an honor society for psychology; and the National Honors Society of Collegiate Scholars. Rivera will graduate spring 2017 with a double major in dietetics and kinesiology. He shared some of his memories from OSU and how they have impacted his OSU experience.

Q. What are three random things about you?
I own and drive a classic ’69 Mustang that I named “Betty.”
My thumbs are double-jointed.
In elementary school, I belonged to a prestigious club for quilting.

Q. What advice would you give to a new OSU student?
Find something or someone to laugh with at least once a day when in your least favorite class or doing your least favorite thing.

Q. What Oregon State experience took you by surprise and why?
An experience that has taken me by surprise is the amount of support the Corvallis community holds for Oregon State University and its students. It’s not as much of a surprise now, as a senior, as it was for me as a freshman. However, the programs and community members are still there, willing to offer both you and me the opportunity to succeed.

Q. What is your favorite memory at OSU?
My favorite memory at OSU is when I received a research apprenticeship in fall 2014. It was an opportunity I aspired to since arriving at OSU. Nothing could compare to the joy heard in the voice of my mother and father as I told them of the news over the phone as I walked through campus.

Q. What makes OSU special?
OSU is special in a tremendous number of ways. I personally have always valued the students, staff and community members that you can find on campus. There is a unique sense that comes with realizing that those who surround you have phenomenal ambition and are undoubtedly going to make a contribution in the world we live in.

Q. What is the best way for you to de-stress?
I like to de-stress by spending time with family and friends. Additionally, I enjoy practicing mindfulness. It’s a challenge and a reward wrapped into one experience that’s free and has proven benefits.

Q. What do you like about living in Corvallis?
As I am sure many students can attest, one of the perks of living in Corvallis is its close proximity to Newport. This is even more evident after a long week, term or year of studying when you have the opportunity to talk to sea lions and buy some salt water taffy.

Q. Why did you choose your major?
The most prominent reason arose when my father was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This occurrence in my life made it evident that treating diseases and illnesses is an experience filled with as much triumph as anguish. Having the opportunity to help others prevent the latter and focus on the former is a privilege I hope to have through my dietetics and exercise sport science dual major.

Q. How have your experiences outside the classroom impacted you?
The Alternative Spring Break opportunity through the Center for Civic Engagement allowed me to explore issues that many of my classes had not covered. I went with a team of OSU students to San Francisco, California. Here, as OSU students, we were able to help community members and organizations provide food to those without a place to stay. While doing so, I also learned about what it means to be an ally and issues relating to social injustice, inequality and policies. This experience forced me to overcome my own preconceptions to better understand social issues and advocate for individual acknowledgement of social change.

Q. Has your time at OSU changed the way you think?
My time at OSU has taught me that some of the greatest accomplishments in academics and social development were not done alone, and that in order to continually succeed as an individual and as a community we must work interdependently to understand one another beyond academics, social preconceptions and intellectual boundaries. Oregon State University provides you with the tools necessary to understand complicated issues, and form interpretations or solutions supported by evidence and compassion. Yet ultimately, it is left up to the individual and his or her principles, developed by academic and extracurricular experiences, to determine how his or her life will influence his or her actions, beliefs and impact on society.