Job Descriptions

Below, I have included a copy of the job description for my current job in Corvallis: a part-time barista at Dutch Bros Coffee.

I have been working for Dutch Bros for almost three years now, but when I first applied I really did not know much about the job. One of my very good friends at the time had just been hired by the company, and thinking I would fit in very well at the company, she convinced me to apply. When I did apply, I did not even have an opportunity to read the above job description; this paper is provided to individuals only once they have been given an job offer from the company.

Having worked for the company for quite a while now, I would say that overall the job description above is a pretty good representation of what a barista position at Dutch Bros entails. For example, in the small paragraph at the top titled, “Description,” the importance of the customer we serve is emphasized over the physical coffee that we are serving. The first few tasks listed under the “Tasks & Responsibilities” section are also related to the customer. This is something that truly is the most important aspect of our job, and I think this job description highlights how much focus Dutch Bros as an organization puts on their companies, and the task of their employees to uphold that.

One aspect of my job that I believe is underrepresented in this job description is the amount of cleaning we are expected to do on shift. There is a single statement at the very bottom of the “Tasks & Responsibilities” list that mentions having to keep your stand tidy, but in reality we spend almost half of our time in the stand cleaning, organizing, and stocking product, so I think that this part of the job is drastically understated in the job description we currently have.