After eight practically non stop grueling weeks of collecting and analyzing, the phytoplankton limitation experiment has largely been completed. Wow. I can’t believe I am saying that myself. We have completed the in vivo portions of phytoplankton limitation experiments from Yaquina, Siuslaw, Umpqua, Nehalem, and Alsea. And we did Yaquina three times. Just saying.
The most recently completed experiment from both Alsea and Nehalem responded well. Alsea showed “N” limitation which I believe I predicted last week, and Nehalem showed a combination of “N” and “P” limitation which I believe I also predicted last week. Not to toot my own horn or anything.
Just because we finished the in vivo doesn’t mean there isn’t work to do though. I have some chlorophyll samples to extract from Alsea and Nehalem, some acid washing to do to get the bottles all neatly put away for another day, some data to analyze, and a presentation to create that will knock the socks off of everyone at the symposium.
And because the symposium is rapidly approaching, I won’t say too much more about how my eight weeks of data is looking. Wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise! Alright, until next time!