Writing Exercise #8 – Reflection

Step 1: The overarching message of this class is what has sparked the most inspiration in me. I had no idea how influential the microbes in my gastrointestinal system are. I had no idea they contributed to so many conditions that many people consider genetic or results of lifestyle choices, such as obesity. It makes me wonder what other types of conditions can be regulated by our microbial compositions. It also interests me how our microbiotas develop over time, and eventually reach a point where it become similar to those around us, regardless of the varying experiences we’ve all had. It is something that unites us on such a minuscule level when the world around us is always changing. I’d like to learn more about ways to ensure our microbiotas are developing and accumulating the bacteria necessary for optimum health. I know we can use antibiotics and probiotics, but what are some lifestyle choices we can consciously make from birth (for our children) and throughout lives (for our children and ourselves)?

Step 3: Because the bacteria that make up our microbiota, especially those inside our bodies, can so easily breach the barrier between the endothelial surfaces and our blood, it is not a surprise that these bacteria can influence multiple aspects of our daily functioning. While they offer protection, they can also cause conditions such as sepsis, meningitis, or diarrhea. It is interesting because the same bacteria that are protective in one area of our body can be equally as harmful once they translocate to another part. For instance, some bacteria found within the stomach can cause gastric problems if they pass through the stomach and enter the duodenum. This is likely due to the fact that different bacteria populate different areas of the body due to the variations in physical and functional characteristics of our bodily regions. For example, our backs will likely have a different composition than the spaces between our toes. The two surfaces are exposed to different environments and have different physical properties such as moisture and temperature.

Step 4: In order to prepare for my final paper, I will find look at numerous sources that provide relevant information. However, I will not try to find articles that provide the exact answers I’m looking for – instead, I will draw my conclusions from the articles and use the information to build my paper. I will also take notes on the articles so it will be easier to translate the information into the appropriate jargon based on my intended audience. I will also work on including only the most relevant information while not omitting anything important.