Glencora Borradaile

Assistant Professor, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University

October 10, 2013

Color blindness considerations

I once had a student in class ask about the colors I was using on the whiteboard because he was color blind.  Since then, I have tried to be good about what colors I use when teaching.  Yesterday I was considering a low-tech alternative to clickers for the classroom: color cards!  However, now I have this color problem again.  I am too lazy to write the color of the card on the color cards I give to the class.  Surreptitiously, my partner was working on a figure for a new paper and referring to the chart below.  It provides a handy guideline for what colors look like to the colorblind and allows you to pick a subset of contrasting colors.  For more information, see the original research by Okabe and Ito.

1 Comment »

1.   D. Eppstein — October 10, 2013 @ 6:16 pm    Reply

I’ve been using the more limited palette at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:KSmrq#Opponent_colors
    (I’ve also checked with a color-blind friend that these colors do look different from each other to him.)

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI