Do you have a torn shirt, broken bike, or otherwise damaged items? Bring them to the Spring Repair Fair on Wednesday, May 11 from 5:30 – 7:30 PM in the OSUsed Store (644 SW 13th Street).
Volunteers will teach you how to fix your broken items; attend demos to learn more skills! See the list below for this month’s skills and demonstrations. The event is free and open to all.
Repair skills offered:
- Appliances and Electronics
- Clothing (hand and machine sewing)
- Computer Diagnostics
- Housewares (furniture, ceramics, lamps, etc.)
- Woodwind Instruments
- And more!
All demos are a drop-in format; stop by any time during the hour to learn new skills. Demos offered will include:
5:30 – 7:30 PM (Full event time frame)
- Something Seedy: Plant Start and Seed Swap Table – When buying seeds for your garden do you ever end up with extra, or wish that you could have more variety? Well now’s your chance! Join local gardening groups by swapping out your extra seeds and plant starts for new ones to enrich your garden and celebrate spring planting. (Leaders: Molly, intern at Produce for the People and Carrie Norris-Sanchez SAGE Garden Manager)
5:30 – 6:30 PM
- Clean Up Your Act: D.I.Y. Green Cleaning – Be kind to the environment and your wallet at the same time! Come learn how you can use a few basic, food-safe ingredients to clean your whole home. Bonus: Take home a free sample, mason jar included! (Leader: Amy Jean, volunteer with the Waste Watchers)
- Get Fired Up: D.I.Y. Lint Fire Starters – Have you ever needed to start a campfire but didn’t have any dry kindling? Come learn how to make your very own portable fire starter out of materials you can find around the house! Put dryer lint, toilet paper rolls and old candle stubs together and you have your very own water resistant fire starter that can burn for up to 20 minutes! (Leader: Cristina Riani, volunteer with the Waste Watchers)
6:30 – 7:30 PM
- It’s In the Bag: T-Shirts to Tote Bags – Learn how to reduce waste by making an old T-shirt into a reusable bag using a quick and easy no-sew technique! Leave with your very own reusable shopping bag along with the know-how to make more at home. All supplies provided, but feel free to bring your own shirt if you have one you’d like to use. (Leader: Andrea Norris, Marketing & Development Coordinator for Campus Recycling)
Note: We don’t have spare parts, but will do our best to repair what we can and/or refer you to where you could find the parts you need. If you have parts already, we may be able to help you install them.
Directions: We are located at 644 SW 13th St. in Corvallis; see a map of the entrance and parking here; view our building on Google Maps here. Please enter through the warehouse gate on 13th Street, between A Ave. and the railroad tracks. City buses 3, 6 and 8 stop within 2-4 blocks of our building while routes1, 5 and 7 stop 6 blocks away at 11th & Monroe (view full details on the Corvallis Transit System website or use Google Transit to find the best option for you).
Join this event on Facebook.