IPIP Results & Reactions

The results of my International Personality Item Pool (IPIP) test were rather surprising. I have taken a similar test before on the big five personality traits, but I don’t recall my results being the same. It was eye-opening on certain aspects, but also reassuring with others. I scored high in extraversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness, while scoring very low in openness to experience. As for neuroticism, my results stated that I scored average, indicating that my level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. My scores for each category were as followed:

Extraversion – 73

Agreeableness – 68

Conscientiousness – 97

Neuroticism – 62

Openness to Experience – 1

With these results, it can be said that I am an outgoing and personable individual who is sympathetic towards others. I have a strong interest in their needs and well-being. However, I personally don’t express my emotions openly. I am very determined and hardworking, which means others can rely on me to get things done. I most certainly don’t like change. I get anxious due to stressful or frustrating situations, but I can cope with this rather quickly.

A future employer looking at my results would say some of my strengths are being dependable, caring, and a team player. I am a people person who can get along with nearly anyone. I don’t mind speaking out and taking charge in a group setting, but I strongly believe in cooperation. An employer knows they could count on me to talk to whomever I cross paths with, given my outgoing personality. I care about those around me and would do almost anything to help others out. I thrive off of getting things done, meaning I am self-disciplined and orderly with my work. An employer would never have to worry about me not getting work done. 

As for weaknesses, an employer might say I don’t like uncertainty and that I am very plain and simple. It could also be mentioned that I often don’t think abstractly or outside the box. This is not my strong suit. I lack creativity and the willingness to complete tasks outside my normal duties. While this could affect my work, it could also impact those around me. Good or bad, an employer would know what they are getting when they hire me based on the results from this test.

4 replies on “IPIP Results & Reactions”

Hi Delani,
Your post was very well written and structured. Thanks for sharing about your test results. I think this is a good test to take because it can make us all more aware of what we knew all along. Breaking up our scored into strengths and weaknesses can show us where we can add value to companies. Overall great post!

Hi Delani,
After looking at your results and reading this write-up, I found many similarities in our test results. When completing mine, I had an extremely high score in extraversion, and was average a majority of the way through the rest of the categories. I scored fairly low in the openness to experience as well. I like a very organized and structured day. I too am not a huge fan of change and can get uncomfortable when things are constantly changing around me. Thank you for sharing this, and explaining how you felt about it!

Hi Delani,

I can see a lot of similarities from my test results to yours. I was very surprised that I got such a low score for open to the experience. I feel that is something I enjoy a lot in life is trying new things so I was shocked when It was my lowest score. I too like structure and to have a routine but that doesn’t mean that we aren’t open for new experiences.

I also believe tat an employer would definitely see a lot of positives about you when evaluating this information. I can’t imagine there would be anyone where these results were absolutely perfect especially because different companies are going to be looking for different qualities in people. There are also traits that not get noted in this test that you mentioned so it would be difficult for an employer to entirely base their judgment of someone juts off of these results.