January 14th, 2014
Carlea Freeman, Executive Assistant with the Division of Outreach and Engagement was the first participant to log 10 walking meetings and earn a Sit Less Move More t-shirt. Carlea logged a total of 325 minutes (5.41 hours) of walking that would have otherwise been spent in a chair. Carlea says that the walking format works great for informal type meetings; she finds the casualness of the meeting opens people up. Not to mention the great physical benefits gained by adding more steps to your day. The Walking Meeting program is part of the Sit Less Move More campaign, which encourages everyone to take a break from sitting every hour.
Earn a free pair of orange shoelaces by logging one walking meeting, here. Earn a free t-shirt by logging 10 meetings.
Tips for a successful Walking Meeting
- Walking meetings work best with 2-5 people
- Walk at a comfortable pace for everyone and wear athletic shoes when possible
- Immediately following the walking meeting write down key points and tasks
- Keep a spare pair of walking shoes and socks at the office for spontaneous meetings
Learn more and Walking Meeting and the Sit Less, Move More! campaign.
January 14th, 2014
This is an easy and healthy one pot meal that you can put together in less than 20 minutes. Feel free to use a different frozen vegetable mix. Add more red pepper flakes to increase the spice! You could also throw in fresh basil or a shake of Italian seasoning for extra flavor!
2 cups uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta
2 cups prepared tomato basil spaghetti sauce
2 cups thawed frozen broccoli, carrot and cauliflower mix
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375°
2. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well. In a medium bowl combine cooked pasta, sauce, thawed vegetables, and seasoning.
3. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray; add the pasta mixture and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
Find out more about cooking classes brought to you by the Moore Family Center and the Nutrition and Dietetics Club here.
January 8th, 2014
A delicious way to kick your year off right!
Are you looking for a healthy way to kick off your new year while eating delicious food, try Heavenly, Healthier Layer Dip. This recipe makes an easy snack throughout your busy day or a great addition to your Super Bowl party.
Get the recipe here and start your new year off right!