Typical vs. Maximal Performance

If I were in the shoes of the business owner then I would hire Avery for higher managerial level position and Jamie for lower managerial level position. Therefore, I would base on the job position to decide it. Avery can be a slacker in sometimes but she will do her best in solving difficult problems. She has the talent and knowledge to improve the company’s overall innovation and profit and this good performance is suitable for a manager or higher level position. However, if this job only requires some routine and repeated duties then it is more suitable for Jamie. He has a high consistency which leads him to follow the rules and do the job step by step so I would hire Jamie for these kinds of job.

If the position is a sales manager which is a commission based job. She has to sale as much as she can to increase her salary and give a lot of creative ideas on boosting the sales of the product. It is a challenging and creative job which is not routine. Therefore, she can use her talented creativity to help the company rising occasion and bring high performance.

If the position is an assistant of Human Resources then it is more suitable for Jamie. As it only requires routine jobs such as filling and handling leave record which needs high consistency. He just has to get the administrative job done everyday then he can leave the office. It is not a work that based on his performance to determine the salary so he can be a dependable employee and do the jobs by himself.

One reply on “Typical vs. Maximal Performance”

Hi Andrea,
I think you make an interesting choice! I think I would put Jaime in the higher managerial position because they have the more consistent work ethic and are more reliably able to get the job done. Though that is just my opinion and I understand that Avery would perform well in the position also. It is just a matter of opinion on what is more valuable in a company. I think you gave a good description of what types of jobs would be a good fit for each person too! I agree that a commission based position would be best for someone like Avery because they are able to perform when they need to and wouldn’t need to be consistent to be successful.