« | »

Alba Garcia (Southside CRF)–What is your salient identity?

Posted April 16th, 2010 by Allyson

Several times I’ve been involved in programs or program series in which the focus topic is identity saliency (something that is prominent or important to me). During these exercise we’re asked to think about our most and least salient identities. Every time, I have a tough time answering the latter.

I struggle with this question because I am reminded of the identity that, in a sense, I ignore most. This struggle within me continues because I’m disappointed that my job consists of educating people about becoming aware of targeted identities and their privileges as members of untargeted group, and then find myself unaware of some of these same issues.

When I go through this brief battle with myself, I ask myself, how do I balance my time between my more salient identities (typically the identities in which I belong to targeted group), and the not so salient identities (typically the identities in which I have privilege). I also hate to remind myself that I’m still a work in progress and recognize that I too need to be reminded of some unearned advantages I have, and to feel guilty or disappointed in myself. Feelings of guilt and disappointment ultimately, don’t move anybody or issues forward.

With that said, I challenge you folks to think about your identity saliency. What’s most salient? What identity do you think about the least? Why do you think that is? Try to think about the identities in which you are privileged and those in which you are targeted. Is it easier to think about the ones that put you at a disadvantage? If so, examine why.

Alba García
Community Relations Facilitator – Southside

Tags: ,

4 Responses to “Alba Garcia (Southside CRF)–What is your salient identity?”

1. descalcificadoras de agua Says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually realize
    what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek
    advice from my website =). We can have a link trade arrangement among us

2. moxa acupuntura propiedades Says:

I read this post completely concerning the resemblance of most recent and
    preceding technologies, it’s amazing article.

3. monografis Says:

Great website I liked too much I will recommend it to my friends on my sites

4. Dengel Says:

thnx for sharing this fantastic web page.