Some Assembly Required

So…..

I said in my last post that I would be working on an encrypted file transfer site called “Crypter”. That was a lie. Well, only kind of a lie. We are going to be working on an encrypted file transfer site, but it won’t be called “Crypter”.

While Crypter is a fun name and I do like it, it not only reminds be of a piece of ransomware, it is more importantly already taken. The team has been hard at work brainstorming new ideas of what to call our project. I, helpfully, have been throwing out numerous nerdy references with which we could bestow a name upon our soon-to-be-creation. Mostly Harry Potter, since I have been reading them to my son, and it is pretty much always at the top of my brain right now.

I wish I was a wizard

Naming aside, we do have a fairly well thought out general list of requirements from which we can work. One of the things I am most excited about right now is the fact that we know what technologies that we are going to be working with.

Blazor

We are going to be using the .NET framework to write an application using Web Assembly, or WASM. This means that we are also going to be using the C# programming language, which certainly has some pretty cool advantages. In C# we will be using the Blazor library/framework that helps to break everything down to WASM for us and allows for the use of HTML and CSS as needed, but all components can essentially be constructed together in C#, from what I understand at this stage.

Blazor even accounts for interoperability with Javascript, which is important because in web development, nothing is as ubiquitous as Javascript. Blazor allows you to affectively call Javascript libraries straight from the C# code, using them seamlessly in the project.

I personally have some experience with C# and have grown to really enjoy working with the language. It has some seriously powerful libraries and features that I will be happy to be able to use for this assignment, such as the LINQ library (no, not that Link) for dealing with collections. Plus, having it be a managed language and take care of most of the garbage collection for you is just a really nice thing to have when writing code, like your very own digital maid.

Linq

We don’t yet know what specific algorithms we are going to use for file encryption or key generation, this is something that we are going to have to research and choose as a team, which I am excited to look into. I know there are several great crypto libraries available for the tech that we are using, so this should be fun. Yes, this is my idea of fun.